Skip to content

Resolved: 52 Ways to Stop Pedophiles

December 28, 2012

I’ve been mentally searching for what direction Vagilantes.com might take in 2013. My answer, as simple as it seems, came from a WordPress.com sampling of blogs that are based on weekly or daily posts.

The structure of 52 things creates a challenging, yet feasible goal for each week. I accept! And so, 52 Ways to Stop Pedophiles will be shared with the world, beginning with the new year. I’m excited about the discoveries and progress we will make together.

Big Change in Attitude–

This theme signals a big change in the way I write about child sexual abuse. Of course, I’ve though about this issue a lot and written the novel Vagilantes about vengeance – a common visceral response to sexual exploitation of the innocent.

The burden of facing, solving, this gigantic problem of CSA has been more than I can fathom. Which way to go? What to do? Haven’t I done enough, already?

Why can’t Vagilantes just be a snarky little blog where our hatred can rise to the surface? Must it also try to provide real answers to stopping pedophiles?

Don’t Ask, If You Don’t Want to Know–

Yes, I had to face my fears. It’s not enough to only scream about this injustice. Nor will it be enough for you to just read a novel and a monthly post, then wag your finger at the bad guys.

This is the year. This is the time to take advantage of child sexual abuse awareness in our everyday news. It’s time to stop running away from the ugliness, turn around and push harder against a system of secrecy. Protecting pedophiles from public shame is no longer an acceptable option.

Together, we will change our world–

Come along with me as we fling open the doors of possibility. We’ll meet lots of bad guys along the way, but we’ll also meet activists with cutting-edge solutions to an ancient failure in our communities.

I’m riding an inspiration high right now. The ideas are flowing. I’m expecting progress…perhaps difficult to track but still powerful.

What do you think? Can you suggest one of the 52 Ways to Stop Pedophiles? Maybe you only have questions – let’s explore them. I hope to hear from you in the new year.

Journal Avatar to Link Back to Blog Hop

The image above is a link to other bloggers who are posting their New Year Resolutions with Meg Waite Clayton.

18 Comments leave one →
  1. December 29, 2012 3:27 am

Julie-

Your novel and cause is needed and justice. And yes, this subjects door needs to be flung open and expose those that prey upon the innocent– children. All children deserve and need to be protected. Remember many pedophiles were abused themselves, but they are stuck in the cycle of abuse, which does not justify their actions but helps explain them. Pedophiles are sick people who also need help. If you are not already in contact with SheWrites writer member Jill Starishevsky—I suggest you contact her. She is working heavily in this area.

I stand alongside you in this cause. Here is a book that may be of interest to you: Web of Angles.

Please visit my blog if you get the chance:

Happy New Year & keep up the good work.

Stephanie Renée dos Santos

• December 29, 2012 9:32 am

Yes Stephanie, abusers have learned from their own dark experiences how to manipulate children. Honor goes to those who have found ways to change or control their urges.

Some of the 52 posts will address how pedophiles might stop themselves – where they can find support and how they can help to heal the damage done. (We can’t simply kill all of them :-))

Thanks for your message of caution and suggestion of other connections. I’ve exchanged mail with Jill before and plan to do so again. Web of Angles is now on my to-read list. http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/12963210-web-of-angels

You are also added to my resource list. We need compassionate people, like yourself, to stop pedophiles.

Happy New Year to you and yours. I’ll head over to your blog later today.

• December 29, 2012 2:02 pm

Julie-

Excellent you have added me to your resource list and you are in contact with Jill and have put “Web of Angles” on your to-read list. Compassion…the world needs a lot of it — always has.

Thank you for having the courage to write about such a serious and complicated world issue.

Many Blessings in the New Year,

Stephanie Renee dos Santos

2. December 29, 2012 4:14 am

Wow. Good for you for tackling such a tough topic. Shining light on the problem can only help to conquer it.

• December 29, 2012 9:07 am

Thank you Paulita for your support. Your message has added lumens to our shining light.

3. December 29, 2012 1:37 pm

Julie, this is a very deep issue to tackle as a resolution, but one where if you follow your guidelines… change in attitude and facing questions where the answers may not be what was anticipated, then together your goal will be most rewarding, not only for you, but others. I certainly wish good wishes for you and yours in 2013.

And what an intriguing novel!

• December 29, 2012 4:24 pm

Oh-h-h…I’m tempted to use your words as a review: “…intriguing novel!” I won’t, but I do hope that you will read Vagilantes. Thank you for your encouragement and good wishes. Watch this site – perhaps you’ll want to publish a book titled, 52 Ways to Stop Pedophiles. We’ll see. Happy New Year to you, and all that you touch.

4. Janel permalink
    December 29, 2012 3:42 pm

CSA is a horrible crime. We have had some truly appalling cases in our area lately. Perhaps changes could be made in the way children testify in the courtroom, make the experience less scary after they have gone through the horror of the abuse.

• December 29, 2012 4:38 pm

Good point, Janel. Courtrooms are intimidating, and the people in control speak a “different” language. Many things that are important to the kids are not allowed in testimony. All the distortion, with good reason, is meant to protect the rights of the accused.
      We can make some changes. Today, let’s use a rallying cry that dates back a long time: BELIEVE THE CHILDREN. (Who/what organization created or popularized this phrase?)
      Thanks for your comment – it is inspiring.

5. December 29, 2012 9:50 pm

Great post – great cause – great challenge. To help stop abuse we need to ‘learn how to cherish our children’. All people should be reminded how precious our next generation is to the world. Maybe then we will be more careful and vigilant. Good luck in 2013 – keep up your good work & writing.

• December 30, 2012 12:31 pm

Thank you Elisabeth, for your encouragement, and your interesting suggestion.
      I’d like to know how you believe we can ‘learn how to cherish our children.’ Perhaps you will write a post on the topic.
      This month, most parents are still raw from the Sandy Hook school shooting and trying to make sense of our gun control laws. I’m guessing their blow-back might be that we DO cherish our children.
      You have directed my thoughts to the fact that a child can be cherished, but still charmed by a pedophile – particularly if their care and protection doesn’t take the form of educating the child about sexual-realities.
      There’s a lot more to explore here.

• January 1, 2013 12:56 pm

It is a complicated subject. Loving our children is a natural instinct for most, and we are designed to protect our loved ones. I have found the hardest part of parenting is letting go and allowing our children to grow into their own person. Love is cherishing who they are or are meant to be – not who we try to form them into. Today there are so many people who try to control others as a way to feel in charge of their surroundings which often leads to resentment. I hope we can learn to cherish our children, and others as well, by respecting their individualism.

6. soniafogal permalink
    December 30, 2012 5:42 pm

Julie, I admire your commitment to such a challenging issue. It is a serious problem that society still chooses to ignore and keep in the shadows instead of dealing with it. I will follow your progress in 2013 and am adding your book to my “To Read” list!

• December 30, 2012 9:20 pm

Thanks Sonia, for this supportive message. Please stay in touch. I’d love to know your thoughts about Vagilantes the novel. I’m slowly writing on the next book in this series. There’s more stories to tell, and more fascinating characters to meet.
      All the best to you in the new year.

7. January 3, 2013 4:23 pm

Julie. I totally agree with this: “It’s not enough to only scream about this injustice.” And, I applaud your courage for taking up this challenge. I am behind you 100% and if there is anything I can do to support and help you with your cause, please let me know. My daughter is an advocate and I have written many articles on this outrageous inhumanity to innocent children. Do visit my blog when you get a minute: http://www.amemorabletimeofmylife.blogspot,com/

8. Leone Moyse permalink
    January 12, 2013 1:44 pm

Julie, I agree with the concept of action. I know we can’t solve the world’s problems all in one go but we can do our own bit wherever possible. I have a friend who is a policeman. He was responsible for doing the “stranger danger” talks at schools for years. He hates them. He says the fear of strangers is often what leads people to ignore the real danger to their children (ie that most assaults are by friends and family).
    His advice is – whenever you hear a parent going on about strangers, kids being taken off the street etc, make the point that the way to protect your kids is to:
    1. teach them to be vigilant, yes, simple and it makes sense
    2. give them an understanding of inappropriate touching and tell them they are the ones who controls who touches what
    3. give them the self confidence to say no and to know they can come to you if they are upset by someone or something
    And for parents, always listen to your kids. If someone makes a child uncomfortable, don’t make a big issue about it but don’t force them to be with that person either. Kids have good instincts and we as adults need to listen to them.
    So my point in all this is, we can help by pointing these things out to people when we hear them doing the “stranger rant”. Even if only one in ten listens, it might help prevent an assault on a child.

• January 13, 2013 4:39 pm

Great points, Leone. Concise, considered and correct. It’s easy fear the stranger, which is why pedophiles charm their way into the life of a child with innocent approval of the family. You are so right in your three main things children need to learn – lessons we must teach world-wide. Thank you for your comment and support.

Thank you for your comment. Please stay connected with Vagilantes.com

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s